Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thing #14

Wikis

I haven't yet decided how I feel about wikis, but do think they could have a big impact on the learning of our students as far as collaboration with others goes. I can see potential for their use for students to post their compositions in writing for peer revision and editing. I need to figure out how to use them a little better to see if their work would be able to be traced back to original form if editing and revisions are made.

I love how the students in Vicki Davis' blog took off with the "study hall" wiki idea. I am hoping that through my knowledge of these new Web 2.0 tools that I will see my students running with ideas as well.

My least favorite wiki was this one beacause I didn't find it visually appealing enough for me to want to explore it any further. I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I am guilty as charged. I think many people are the same way.

The kindergarten wiki brought hope to me, because I thought at first, "Oh my goodness, this is going to be a nightmare to try to implement in my class." If they can create one, so can 9 & 10 year olds!

I can see how a wiki could break the mold of traditional projects, so I truly hope to learn more about how to use them so that I can try them this year with my students. Oh, I also like the idea of having a class wiki because I feel like the students would have more ownership of it versus my class blog page. It's something for me to think about as I begin making my plans for the new school year.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there friend. I enjoyed reading your blog especially the one from the kindergarten counting book. I agree about the 6th grade one "this one" - it didn't catch my attention at all. I read Vicki Davis' article too and I think you could do the same thing in 4th grade on a smaller scale with a novel you guys read. The students would love to get on the computer and "play" with the WIKI. I'm certainly not savvy enough on it yet to teach it, but you would be great!!!
    Vickie
    http://mrsvickies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wikis have the potential to be great classroom tools as long as we monitor the personal information placed on it.

    ReplyDelete