Saturday, July 11, 2009

Thing #9

Flickr

I am truly inspired! I've had an aha moment after completing the exercises is Thing #9. This whole time I've been thinking about setting up my class blog as basically a communication tool for my students' parents. After reading misterteacher's blog about using Flickr in the classroom, I've begun brainstorming ways to kick it up a notch. Following are just a few of the things I thought of while exploring Flickr...class blog...problem of the day with Flickr, journal entries, displaying student work, not just communicating "events" with parents, good for portfolios, principal access to student work, student of the week, photo story starters, photos describing books we read, character analysis, emotions, setting, theme...wow, the possibilites are overwhelming.

It's funny because just the other day I was thinking about how my blog posts on this blog are pretty boring visually compared to my personal blog and I kept thinking how I needed to go back and add some pics to this one. Now I have just the tool in which to do that.

Some of my searches included "Louisiana", "Louisiana_architecture" (because of my love for my home state), and many Texas themed searches as well because of teaching Texas history to my fourth graders. I couldn't help but think of a Texas ABC book and the endless possibilites with using photos from Flickr. Even a photographic field trip would be fun...or comparing point of view of photos...or even having students take on the point of view of the subject of a photo to write a short story...still brainstorming...

and off to add some photos to my previous posts...

Photo credit:
Inspire by Mark Brannan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to my blog. I love incorporating digital images into my teaching, but I've found that you can run into trouble with Flickr if you're not careful.

    I have a webpage on my website (www.misterteacher.com) that I've dedicated entirely to using digital cameras and digital images in the classroom. You can find it at:

    http://www.misterteacher.com/digitalphotography/digitalcameras.html.

    Thanks again,
    Jamie Tubbs

    ReplyDelete