Saturday, July 11, 2009

Thing #8

Creative Commons

I had never even heard of Creative Commons until this class. I am curious to know how many other people had not heard of it either. I'd hate to think I was the only one living under a rock. I never have seen the CC logo on any websites, probably because I didn't know to look for it. Now I am sure I will see it all over the world wide web.

While browsing through the content directory of Creative Commons I stumbled across a few sites that gave me ideas for use in my classroom. The first was sketchory.com. I will need to explore it a little more for content, but I thought maybe I could try using some of the sketches as story starters for my fourth grade writers or even allow those artists that I always have each year to upload their own sketches to the site as a reward for completing other assignments. My students could even create their own sketches to add to our database of story starters.

I can see how students could search for work that is already part of Creative Commons and figure out ways to change the work to fit what they have learned. It might be a tool for guiding students to create games based on content that they have learned.

How great to be able to share and build upon work with others. What a great way for students to learn about collaboration and the way work is done in the "real world".

1 comment:

  1. I took a look at the sketchory website; it's pretty cool. I think you could totally use it in your classroom; as much as kids are into graphics, they will love it.

    ReplyDelete