Friday, July 16, 2010

Thing #16

The Library Thing

I can already tell I am overwhelmed by all of these organizational tools...and I love it!! I was inspired by the 50 book challenge to create a blog for my students to create an online class reading journal. I was excited to create a widget for my blog with just my few books that I entered to my library, and I can't wait to do the same for my classroom books. Maybe the flashing book covers might encourage some of my students to try a book he may not have noticed. I know the Library Thing site has had that effect on me already with all of the recommendations I found based on just ONE book title! I can't wait to play with this tool some more to see if I can safely create accounts for my students to implement to find books that meet their interests. I have already added a list of books to the stack I have waiting patiently for me on my nightstand. The author clouds were interesting seeing such large, bold names as Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Stephen King. I want to now go back and play around with it a little more to tailor my account for my classroom library and see if I can create links to my classroom blog for my students to utilize while searching for books. My struggle with this class is that I find it all so much fun, but I need some time to process it all and figure out where I should start!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job of exploring and incorporating what you have learned! I am unsure why I have not been able to place things in my sidebar, but only link it to text in most of mines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb! You can copy and paste the code for your items into the "add a gadget" section on the "design" page of your blog. You'll see "design" on the top right corner. I hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete