Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #17

Podcasting

I have to admit, I started this "thing" by listening to a podcast from Nova and immediately felt like I was listening to the SNL satire of NPR. I chose the category of science to explore first because that is an area I hope to continue to improve in my teaching with the use of technology. I moved on to the 60 Second Science podcasts from Scientific American, and LOVED them! In this time of , sadly, fast paced daily life, I can see how these could be popular. I would love to use this in my classroom during transitions or to introduce a topic of study.
The Just One More Book site was an interesting concept of reviewing books in a coffee shop. This idea could be used in a classroom or library with students creating podcasts of their own reviews for their peers. Hmmmm, I am visualizing a mini cafe in my classroom...minus the caffeine of course!
I was just talking with a fellow teacher today about how I have started the Couch Potato to 5k running program this summer and she told me it was on iTunes as a podcast, so I am off to add that to my iPod. :)
I'm thinking I would like to start a podcast for my students to share what they are learning, incorporate book reviews, tips for other students, etc. My wheels are turning...let's see where they go! I need to figure out how to set up the podcasts to appear as links on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment